Omkareshwar is one of the 12 jyotirlinga of Lord Shiva situated in Khandwa district of Madhya Pradesh, India. Omkareshwar is formed by the sacred river Narmada. The temple is Mandhata island on Narmada river and the shape of the island is said to be like the Hindu ॐ symbol. There are two main temple of Lord Shiva :
- One is Omkareshwar - whose name means "Lord of Omkaara or the Lord of the Om Sound.
- Second is Amareshwar - whose name means "Immortal lord" or "lord of the Immortals or Devas"
Lord Vishnu and Lord Brahma once had the argument on the supremacy of creation. Lord Shiva pierced the three worlds as a huge endless pillar of light, the jyotirlinga. Lord Vishnu and Lord Brahma split their ways to upward and downward direction to find out the end of light. Brahma lied out that he found the end while Vishnu concede to defeat. Shiva appeared as a second pillar of light and cursed Brahma that he would have no place in ceremonies while Vishnu would be worshipped till the end of eternity. The jyotirlinga is the supreme reality and the Lord shiva appears, thus jyotirlinga shrines.
The temple has it sown stories and history. Three of them are prominent.
- First story : This story is about the Vidhya Parvat. Once upon a time Narada visited the parvat. Loard Narada tell the vidhya parvat about the greatness of Meru parvat in a spicay way. Vidhya get jealous of Meru and started doing worship of Lord Shiva to becaome greater than meru. Vidhya Parvat worshipped parthivlinga (A linga made from physical material) along with Lord Omkareshwar for nearly six months. Lord Shiva was pleased and blessed him with his desired boon. On the request of all the god Lord shiva made two parts of lingas 1) Omkareshwar and 2) Mamaleshwar. Lord Shiva take a promise from vidhya that you will not be a problem ti shiva devotee. Vidhya started to began but not kept the promise. All deities approached agastya for help. Agastya and his wife convinced vidhya that not to grow untill they came back. They never returned and Vindhya is there as it was when they left.
- Second Story : It relates to Mandhata and his son's penance. King Mandhata worshipped Lord Shiva here till the Lord manifested himself as a Jyotirlinga.
- Third Story : This story that once a time there was a great war between Devas and Danavas and Danavas won the war. This was a major setback for Devas and hence Devas prayed to Lord Shiva. Pleased with their prayer, Lord Shiva emerged in the form of Omkareshwar Jyotirlinga and defeated Danavas.
Places of Interest
- Kajal Rani Cave
- 24 Avtars
- Siddhanath Temple
- Omkareshwar Sahib
- Gayathri Shaktipeet
- Omkar mutt
- Shri Anandamayi Maa Ashram
- Sangam Ghat
- Summer temperature ranges from 23°C to 37°C.
- Winter temperature ranges from 15°C to 30°C.
How to Reach
By Air - Devi Ahilyabai Holkar Airport, Indore is the nearest domestic airport.
By Rail - It has its own railway station coneected to all major cities.
By Road - Omkareshwar is linked with the all major cities through road.